28 October 2017

Niels Bohr, my physics professor and Peter Woit

I like Peter Woit; he is a nice and honest man. Nevertheless I want to poke a little bit of fun at him.

My physics professor at university told me to read Niels Bohr. That is not easy. But I did it. Most of it I did not like. But I liked one idea of his: Bohr used to write that quantum mechanics is summarized in the statement that hbar is not zero. So did my teacher.

My prof told us that starting from a nonzero hbar value we can distinguish state and measurement. And then quantum mechanics appears. hbar is even at the origin of the term "quantum".

The world was ok - until modern mathematical physicists appeared. Peter Woit is one of them. These people refused this connection between hbar and quantum theory. They claim that is is not that simple, that quantum theory exists by itself, independently of hbar, and that hbar is not the reason for the Hilbert space. History and facts shows the opposite, but who cares? :-)

The ideology behind such mathematical opinions explains why mathematical physicists will *not* succeed in finding the unified theory - especially when male.




1 comment:

  1. Incidentally, this old friend here seems to have found a way to get rid of hbar entirely without "throwing the baby"...
    http://www.pspchv.com/Abstract-PJMPA/PJMPA%20Vol.%205,%20Issues%201-2,%202014,%20Pages%201-53.pdf

    ReplyDelete